This page is for general Twitter tips. For more information about my own Twitter presence, see
Tips - general
- Don't read your main following feed. Instead, create lists for specific topics of interest.
- But do continue to follow - one of the main benefits of following is that Twitter will prioritize showing you replies from people you 'know' (follow)
- To prevent auto-linkification of a domain, URL, or a string beginning with a special character (#, @, $), just insert a
Zero-Width Joiner between the 'active' character and the rest of the string. Inserting one before the colon in URLs should do the trick.
- Consider a Twitter de-escalation policy like Halvar Flake's .
Tips - disinformation and countermeasures
- You can force someone to unfollow you by temporarily blocking them, and then unblocking them.
- I recommend grooming your follower list using the block-then-unblock method. Follower quality is a meaningful heuristic.
- It's amazing how often the early replies to a popular tweet are from untrustworthy, bot, or SEO/"influencer" accounts. They do this to increase their reputation - sort of like the Twitter equivalent of SEO. Corollary: minimzing 'liking' replies from accounts you don't know.
- Combat hate-speakers on Twitter with these tips (@chadloder)
Tips - browser
Tips - mobile
- I like the native Twitter app.
- 'Pin' lists to make them appear in 'tabbed' style across the top of your 'Home' view, and avoid your main feed.
Recommended follows for information security
(aka "The Follow Friday That Never Ended")