I'm Royce Williams.
I work in information security.
Tech Solvency is where I conduct independent research.
I live in Anchorage, Alaska with my family.
I am a
at heart. I believe that the keepers of technology should
first do no harm
(though second-order effects mean trade-offs - for example, a surgeon does some "harm" cutting into a patient, for the patient's own good). Shostack's concept of
cyber public health aligns with my feelings here.
This page informs assessment of my digital presence.
Research and professional interests
- Passwords - auditing, hashing, and history (especially descrypt).
I am a
Team Hashcat (as TychoTithonus),
and I make
minor GitHub contributions
file bugs and features
- Regional cyber event and incident management and response
- Asset detection and classification - passive, active, and via harvesting data from other systems and human processes
- TLS - auditing and hardening
- Vulnerability detection and mitigation - practical operational approaches
- DNS - auditing, true-up, automation, and data mining
- Talks I have given
- tychotithonus (Gravatar,
- Origin: see tycho.org and Tithonus
- Pronunciation: /ˈtaɪkoʊ tɪˈθoʊnəs/ ("TIE-co TITH-oh-nuss") (long "i" in "Tycho", short "i" and stress on the first syllable in "Tithonus").
But just "Tycho" is fine. :)
- tycho / tychotithonus (Libera IRC)
- akroyce (eBay)
- royce (Disqus, Hacker News,
- roycewilliams (GitHub, LinkedIn, Reddit)
- royce.williams (Google)
- tychotithonus#7013 (Discord)
- For an exhaustive list with links, see the left column ("Stalker One-Stop Shopping") of my blog.
"Just doing my undue diligence." (In the ha ha only serious tradition.)
I have a Twitter-specific landing page (interests, policies, and sample tweets).
I have been online since I was 17, so judge accordingly.
Undue diligence that I'm proud of: professional ...
... and personal
My undertaking is not difficult, essentially ...
I should only have to be immortal to carry it out.
- Jorge Luis Borges
Back to Tech Solvency.